Biggest Misunderstanding

So, apparently my frustrations blog entry about being in a Biggest Loser contest up against men hit a nerve. I never meant to imply that anyone in the contest wasn't busting her OR HIS butt, and I don't think that I did. I even went back and read my entry to make sure that I didn't say that because I honestly DO NOT believe that any of the contest leaders have had it easy. I DO still firmly believe that the women have a disadvantage, and I don't think that I was out of line by blogging about it. Because I'm a SAHM, I don't get out much to have adult conversations with my friends, so I often use my blog as a way to vent about the good and bad in my life. I seriously think I would go crazy if not for my blog and blog-o-sphere of friends. Just writing something down when I'm upset or frustrated helps, but having feedback of support from my friends makes things that much better. I also enjoy reading when others write about their frustrations and setbacks (and no, I'm not just talking about weight loss here), not just the good things in life, because it makes me feel like I'm not alone and I'm not the only one who doesn't have a perfect life.

So anyway, I'm sorry if anyone misunderstood what I was saying about being frustrated about the contest. If I had it to do over again, I would probably still enter the contest. It inspired me to get healthy again, and I think I've written about and talked about that way more than I've talked about being frustrated with the contest (you'll see evidence of that if you look at all of my entries that are tagged "biggest loser"). I even get emails from people who read my blog, but don't like to leave comments there saying that I have inspired them to get healthy again. That makes me feel GREAT and motivates me even more! And I haven't even mentioned how happy I am that there are pants that I would put on 5 weeks ago and they would give me a muffin top because they were so tight, but today they can almost slide off of my hips without even unbuttoning them. Or that I am so freakin' proud of myself for being able to do 45 "crunches" on the roman chair (2 sets, 25 then 20) when 5 weeks ago I couldn't even do 15. Or that I get a glimpse of myself in one of the walls of mirrors at the gym and think "I want to look like her" before realizing that I AM her! Yes, the competitor in me is frustrated that I probably won't win (or "lose" depending on how you look at it), but regardless, I am still a loser and hope to continue to be long after the contest is over because I have increased my metabolism, decreased my appetite, found a groove when it comes to exercising, and just become a healthier me!

5 comments:

Angelle said...

Wow, I had no idea things were getting so heated. I know where you are coming from. I guess I went into the competition not intending to win but not be ashamed of showing up each week with no weight lost or gains. I wanted others to see my good and bad so that I had to strive for the good. I am enjoying pushing myself to work out even when I don't want to. I can be competitive but I did not really ever think of this as a contest, just a motivator. I am so proud of all you have accomplished with or without a win.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Well you ALL are doing great, but I completely understood your frustration. I know when I was losing pregnancy weight, and Rob decided to join me, I was REALLY frustrated. We were eating the exact same thing, and I was exercising more than him, and he would lose like 6 lbs in a week and I'd lose one or two. We would go places and everyone would say "Rob you look great." It was very difficult when I was working so hard to not get the same feedback.
I have no idea what kind of proof there is out there, but typically men appear to be able to drop weight easier/faster than women...espcially after a woman has had a baby. They talk about it a lot on the Biggest Loser so there must be some truth behind it?

Whatever the case, you guys are all doing awesome and losing weight isn't easy for anyone. Everyone has to work to make a change of that capacity! I can't believe how much weight you have all lost! It's truly inspiring!

Kathy

Nikki said...

Man, I didn't know about either of your posts before going out tonight! I can't believe you didn't mention it!

Kelly Albert said...

I was very hesitant about even signing up for the competition- even after winning our biggest loser competition- ALL GIRLS. I mentioned that I thought having guys put us at an unfair advantage, but the girls were just given a handicapped instead of splitting the two competitions. Oh well. That's the main reason I haven't been motivated. I'm just happy that everyone seems to be very strict and doing really well. If anything- everyone will lose weight, so that in itself makes everyone a WINNER!!!

Anonymous said...

What planet has the person(s) been living on that gave you crap for venting? It is a well known fact that females have a much harder time losing weight. Period. Then add growing two babies in your belly and that just adds more complications for even your body to understand. You're never the same. Not to mention, don't they realize also that you are a woman and just saying it solves it. Jill E.