My Christmas Resolution

Today I decided something... this year for my Christmas gifts I'm going to try to either make something or buy something from a local merchant for everyone on my Christmas list (disclaimer: I've already purchased some things from chain/department stores, and will probably buy most kids' gifts from chain/department stores too because downtown doesn't offer much in the childrens' department). I decided this while I was out shopping in Downtown Melbourne, a place that I haven't had a chance to really shop for quite a long time now. I used to go there on a regular basis to visit the jewelry store (where we got my engagement ring and our wedding rings), the baby store (where I bought Annabelle's "coming home" dress), the antique stores (including the two where I had my antique wares when I was an antiques dealer), a few of my favorite restaurants (including the one where we had our rehearsal dinner), and so on. Since I've had Annabelle, I haven't gone downtown much at all because most of the little shops downtown aren't quite baby or stroller-friendly and many of the restaurants don't even have highchairs. Apparently there have been some major rennovations done in Downtown Melbourne and lots of neat little stores have moved in. We went downtown today using the art show as an excuse, but it ended up raining most of the time so I kept ducking into little stores and finding new shops that I hadn't seen before.

One of the stores that I ducked into was a place that is the epitomy of the perfect downtown shop, Yapa. This store is something that we've been needing in this area for a LONG time, and I hope that it attracts many of the same types of stores. It's an awesome store filled with unique furniture, rustic decor, retro-modern themed tchotckies, some "green" items (including these awesome outdoor rugs made of recycled pop bottles), and lots of other cool things. I've been to many stores like this in places like L.A., NYC, and Nashville, but never in Melbourne. The store just opened this weekend, and it sounds like she did pretty well. I thought it was cool that the coolest shop in Downtown Melbourne is in the exact same spot that my antique booth was. Apparently the owners of the antique store that I rented space from let go of their lease on the half of their store that I was in, and this lady got it. I met the owner and mentioned that I had my antiques "right over there", and she told me that she had antiques in their store too, but had to quit doing it when she didn't have time to keep up with it after her kids were born. That was my story too! Pretty crazy! Anyway, her kids are old enough now that she's able to open her own store, and I highly encourage anyone interested in unique items or furniture that "doesn't match your sofa" (that's part of her slogan), head on to downtown Melbourne and check out "Yapa" (just west of Seldom Scene and Molly Mutt thrift store on the north side of the street).

1 comment:

Chelsi said...

That store sounds really cool - I'm glad there are new things opening up in Downtown Melbourne. I love the idea of supporting local businesses, too. Kyle and I like to support local (non-chain) restaurants as much as we can...Chelsi