On My Own... Again

My days of being spoiled by Grammy are over! She left to start the trek back home this afternoon, and left me with the kids (and no Keith... he's traveling today) to learn to be a full-time Mommy again. Not only was she SOOO much help with the kids, I don't think I've done laundry, dishes, or cooked for that past 6 weeks since she arrived! Because of her help, I got an incredible amount of house-related things done. The timing couldn't have worked out better either, especially since Keith was gone for over 2 of the 6 weeks that she was here. There's no way I could have functioned without another adult around during those weeks. It was hard to say goodbye today, and Belle has already mentioned a few times that she misses her Grammy. While she was here, Annabelle and Grammy were roommates, and Annabelle even preferred Grammy to me when it came to putting her to bed. Our normal bedtime routine include me singing "La Lechuza" (a Spanish song that I learned from Dora and probably totally butcher when I sing it, but Annabelle doesn't care), but since Grammy doesn't know that song, she always sang a song that her Daddy sang to her and she sang to us, "Bushel and a Peck". That's now one of Annabelle's favorite songs. Tonight when I put Annabelle to bed, when I finished reading with her, totally without any prompting she sang the whole song of "I love you, a bushel and a peck..." complete with hand motions and hugs-around-the-neck and everything. It was so freakin' cute!

While Grammy was here, one of her many "duties" was to teach Corgan to drink from a sippy cup. Just this last week he FINALLY came around and will really drink out of a sippy cup and even hold it himself (sometimes). He still doesn't seem to care for the taste of regular milk, so I'm going to keep working on that, but this milestone puts us that much closer to the end of breastfeeding. I'm ready to be done, but at the same time, it makes me a little sad.

While Grammy was here, I was way off of my regular routine which is a big part of the reason that I haven't been blogging or posting new pictures much at all. I barely had my camera out, except for a couple of photo sessions. I got a new lens and have yet to post any pictures taken with it. I still want to play with the post-processing of the photos, but here is one of my favorites straight out of the camera from a morning last weekend that I got Grammy and Belle out for a special photo session in Downtown Melbourne. In this picture, I believe Annabelle was doing the "I love you" point-on-the-nose that Grammy does when she sings "Bushel and a Peck". It's priceless and sums up their relationship so perfectly!

Grammy, we can't thank you enough for your help! We miss you already and hope you have a safe trip home! Love you!

5 comments:

Angelle said...

That picture is gorgeous! The time they get to spend with grandparents is priceless. I was VERY close to my mom's parents growing up and I have so many great memories of them now that they are gone. This is week 3 of the grandparent brigade over here and going back to no one will be hard.

Sally said...

"...Hug around the neck and a barrel and a heap, barrel and a heap and I'm talking in my sleep about you..."

I'll have that song in my head for the rest of the day now ;). Not my favourite Guys & Dolls song, but I can think of worse songs to be singing all day! Greg planted 'Sweet Home Alabama' in all our heads last week, and while I'm sure it has more significance for you, it drove me crazy!

ljkolumbus said...

I LOVE the picture!! - it's over just for this trip! It makes me feel so great to know that I was so appreciated and loved! I miss you all and am already looking forward to my next visit for Corgan's 1st birthday! I love you all a bushels and pecks !! and lots of hugs around the necks!

memento said...

That picture is just amazing!

and congratulations to brave Corgan who is walking!

Anonymous said...

I love that picture! What a special time! Can I borrow your mom? She sounds amazing! In 9 years of marriage and 2 kids, I don't think I have EVER had more than 2 nights help with my kids and definitely have never had anyone cook and clean for me! I'm sure it is hard to go back to "normal" life!

Kathy